Supervisor: Mrs. Donnetta L. Beatty
Phone: 856-939-4500 ext. 2302
English Language Learner (ELL) Program
In the Black Horse Pike Regional School District, we educate ELLs from 18 countries and 1 U.S. territory who speak 14 different languages.
Argentina, Bangladesh, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala,
Guinea, Haiti, Honduras, India, Mexico, Pakistan, Philippines, Puerto Rico,
Syria, Thailand, Turkey, and Vietnam
(Arabic, Bengali, Filipino, Gujarati, Haitian, Laotian, Mandingo,Pashto, Punjabi,
Spanish, Tagalog, Turkish, Urdu, and Vietnamese)
The district's ELLs all attend school at Triton Regional High School.
“There is no equality of treatment merely by providing students with the same facilities, textbooks, teachers, and curriculum; for students who do not understand English are effectively foreclosed from any meaningful education.” (Lau v. Nichols, 1974)
*US Supreme Court case - unanimously decided that the lack of supplemental language instruction
in public school for students with limited English proficiency violated the Civil Rights Act of 1964. )
Sheltered Instruction (SI) is a planning process that helps teachers provide ELLs with grade-level content instruction by adapting lesson activities to the English proficiency level of individual students.
SI promotes the use of clear, direct, and easy-to-understand language and a wide range of scaffolding strategies to communicate an understanding of content in mathematics, social studies, and language arts to students.
SI activities require that teachers analyze the subject matter content to determine the academic language that must be taught to make content accessible for ELs.
SI teachers are skilled at:
• building background knowledge and connecting new content to students' prior knowledge;
• providing interaction and collaboration among students;
• integrating explicit language structure and vocabulary instruction; and
• emphasizing the use of many types of instructional strategies.
* For more information on Entering and Exiting the ELL Program, Program Goals, Program Description and Sheltered Instruction in our classes, please click on "Brochure" on the left-hand side of this webpage.