Supervisor: Mrs. Donnetta L. Beatty
Phone: 856-939-4500 ext. 2302
Multilingual Learner (ML) Program
English Language Learner (ELL) Program
In the Black Horse Pike Regional School District, we educate MLs from 16 countries and 1 U.S. territory who speak 10 different languages.
Argentina, Brazil, China, Colombia, Dominican Republic, El Salvador,
Guatemala, Guinea, Haiti, Honduras, India, Mexico, Pakistan, Philippines,
Puerto Rico, Turkey, and Vietnam
(Chinese, Gujarati, Haitian, Mandingo, Portuguese, Spanish,
Tagalog, Turkish, Urdu, and Vietnamese)
The district's MLs all attend school at Triton Regional High School.
“There is no equality of treatment merely by providing students with the same facilities, textbooks, teachers, and curriculum; for students who do not understand English are effectively foreclosed from any meaningful education.” (Lau v. Nichols, 1974)
*US Supreme Court case - unanimously decided that the lack of supplemental language instruction
in public school for students with limited English proficiency violated the Civil Rights Act of 1964. )
Sheltered English Instruction (SEI) is a planning process that helps teachers provide MLs with grade-level content instruction by adapting lesson activities to the English proficiency level of individual students.
SEI promotes the use of clear, direct, and easy-to-understand language and a wide range of scaffolding strategies to communicate an understanding of content in mathematics, social studies, science, and language arts to students.
SEI activities require that teachers analyze the subject matter content to determine the academic language that must be taught to make content accessible for ELLs.
SEI teachers are skilled at:
• building background knowledge and connecting new content to students' prior knowledge;
• providing interaction and collaboration among students;
• integrating explicit language structure and vocabulary instruction; and
• emphasizing the use of many types of instructional strategies.
* For more information on Entering and Exiting the ML Program, program goals, opportunities beyond the classroom, program description, and Sheltered English Instruction in our classes, please click on "Brochure" on the left-hand side of this webpage.