Requirements for Membership
Minimum Requirements Set Forth by the National Organization
Membership in NEHS is by invitation, extended through a local chapter on behalf of the national organization. Membership in NEHS is an honor bestowed on individuals selected for their accomplishments in the field of English and in overall academic achievement.
The NEHS Constitution sets forth as minimum requirements for active membership the following:
- Attendance at the school the equivalent of one semester prior to being considered. (If special circumstances merit, the Faculty Advisory Council may waive the semester regulation.)
- Completion of the equivalent of two semesters of English prior to induction as members.
- The achievement of a minimum overall and English grade point average of a 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) prior to induction as members.
- Submission and payment of the new member enrollment via NEHS Connect.
*These criteria may be raised, but not lowered, by the local chapter, but criteria must be based solely on demonstrable academic matters.
Minimum Requirements Set Forth by Triton Regional High School’s Doublethink Society Chapter
The Doublethink Society Chapter of the National English Honor Society at Triton Regional High School recognizes and upholds the minimum requirements for membership established by the NEHS Constitution in addition to the following:
- Completion of at least 2 years of mandatory high school English courses
- The achievement of a minimum grade of an 80 in all mandatory English courses, with an overall English grade point average of a 3.5
- Participation in extracurricular activities in and/or outside of school
- The recommendation of current and former English teachers
- Submission of student work is optional and will be considered but is NOT mandatory